Office: ENGR 1, Rm. 407E
Phone: (407) 823-2179
Website: CATER: Center for Advanced Turbine and Energy Research
Sc.D. (Mechanical Eng.), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston, MA, 1991
M.S. (Mechanical Eng.), Arizona State University, Phoenix, AZ, 1988
B.Tech. w/Honors (Mechanical Eng.), Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India, 1984
Miniaturization of engineering systems (Associate Director of MES Initiative); Micro-scale fluidics; Heat transfer and related sensors with application to MEMS; Aerodynamics and heat transfer for gas turbines and other turbomachineries; Transition and turbulence and associated effects on droplet evaporation and transport augmentation; Flow and transport in different material processing techniques.
- A. K. Sleiti and J. S. Kapat, 2006, Effect of Coriolis and Centrifugal Forces on Turbulence and Transport at High Rotation and Buoyancy Numbers in Internal Cooling Smooth Channels”, AIAA J. Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, vol. 20, pp. 67 – 79.
- G. W. Finger, J. S. Kapat, and A. Bhattacharya, “Molecular dynamics simulation of effect of layers of adsorbents on TMAC,” submitted to ASME J. Fluids Engineering, accepted.
- A. K. Sleiti and J. S. Kapat, 2006 ” Comparison Between EVM and RSM Turbulence Models in Predicting Flow and Heat Transfer in Rotating Rib-Roughened Channels”, J. of Turbulence, accepted.
- N. R. Nagaiah, A. K. Sleiti, S. Rodriguez, J. S. Kapat, L. An, and L. Chow, 2006, “A Novel Design and Analysis of a MEMS Ceramic Hot-Wire Anemometer for High temperature Applications,” J. of Physics: Conf. Series, vol. 34, pp. 277-282.
- A. K. Sleiti and J. S. Kapat, 2005, “Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer in Rotating Curved Duct at High Rotation and Density Ratios,” ASME J of Turbomachinery, vol. 127, pp. 659-667.
- N. R. Nagaiah, J. S. Kapat, L. An, and L. Chow, 2006, “Novel Polymer Derived Ceramic-High Temperature Heat Flux Sensor for Gas Turbine Environment,” J. of Physics: Conf. Series, vol.34, pp.458-463.
- A. K. Sleiti and J. S. Kapat, 2006 “An Experimental Investigation of Liquid Jet Array and Single Phase Spray Impingement Cooling Using Polyalphaolefin”, Experimental Heat Transfer, accepted.
Scientific and Professional Societies
- Associate Fellow of AIAA
- Member of ASME
- Faculty Advisor for ASHRAE(UCF)
- Chair of Energy Systems Miniaturization Technical Committee (ASME AED)
- Member of the Executive Board, Advanced Energy Systems Division, ASME International
- Member of the Gas Turbine Heat Transfer (ASME HTD K-14)
- Air Breathing Propulsion TC (AIAA)
- Member of Education and Turbine Engine committees
Honors and Awards
- Lockheed Martin Professorship, (2003)
- UCF Teaching Incentive (TIP) Award, 2003
- MMAE Departmental Teaching Award, 2000, 2001.
- CECS Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award, 2001.
- MMAE Departmental Research Award, 2002 (Junior), 2006 (Professor).
- CECS Distinguished Researcher Award, 2006.
- UCF Research Incentive Award (RIA), 2006.
- 2000 Best Paper Award from the Heat Pumps Committee of the Advanced Energy Systems Subdivision (ASME)
- Pi Tau Sigma Advisor of the Year, 2002
- National Science Talent Scholarship and Certificate of Merit, awarded by National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT), New Delhi, 1978
- Departmental nomination for Goodwin Medal for Excellence in Teaching (for graduate teaching assistants), MIT, 1990.
- Oak Ridge Associated Universities 1998 Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award (Engineering category).