Ph.D. (Theoretical and Applied Mechanics), University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL, 1983
M.S. (Aeronautical Eng.), Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, 1978
B.Tech. (Aeronautical Eng.), Madras Institute of Technology, Chromepet, India, 1976
B.S. (Mathematics), University of Madras, Chromepet, India, 1973
Multiphase flow and heat transfer; Droplet atomization and vaporization; Droplet and spray drying; Microfluidics and nanofluids; Laser-based measurements; Lattice Boltzmann methods; Molecular dynamics simulation; CFD.
- A. Saha, S. Basu and R. Kumar, “Scaling Analysis: Equivalence of Convective and Radiative Heating of Levitated Droplet,” Applied Physics Letters, 100, 204104, 2012.
- A. Saha, S. Basu and R. Kumar, “Effects of Acoustic Streaming-induced Flow in Evaporating Nanofluid Droplets,” J Fluid Mechanics., 692, pp. 207-219, 2012.
- X. Gu, S. Basu and R. Kumar, “Dispersion and Vaporization of Biofuels and Conventional Fuels in a Crossflow Pre-mixer,” Int. J Heat Mass Transfers, 56, Issues 1-3, pp. 336-346, 2012; also featured online on Renewable Energy Global Innovations http://reginnovations.com.
- X. Gu, S. Basu and R. Kumar, “Vaporization and Collision Modeling of Liquid Fuel Sprays in a Co-axial Fuel and Air Pre-mixer,” Int. J Heat Mass Transfer, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2012.05.042, 2012.
- A. Saha, S. Basu and R. Kumar, “Thermally Induced Secondary Atomization of Droplet in an Acoustic Field,” Applied Physics Letters, 100, Issue 5, 054101, 2012.
- A. Saha, S. Basu and R. Kumar, “Particle Image Velocimetry and Infrared Thermography in a Levitated Droplet with Nanosilica Suspensions,” Experiments in Fluids, 52, pp. 795-807, 2012.
- A.Gupta and R. Kumar, “Two-Dimensional Lattice Boltzmann Model for Droplet Impingement and Breakup in Low Density Ratio Liquid,” Comm. Comp. Phys., 10, pp. 767-784, 2011.
- E. Yakshi-Tafti, H.J. Cho and R. Kumar, “Diffusive Mixing through Velocity Profile Variation in Microchannels,” Experiments in Fluids, 50, #3, pp. 535-545, 2011.
- N. Aminimanesh, S. Basu and R. Kumar, “Heat Transfer Analysis of a Reacting Nanofilm on a Composite Substrate,” Energy, 36, # 3, pp. 1688-1697, 2011.
- E. Yakshi-Tafti, H.J. Cho and R. Kumar, “Backward Facing Step Flow in Microchannels Using Particle Image Velocimetry,” J Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, 25, #1, pp. 96-103, 2011.
- E. Yakshi-Tafti, G. Londe, A. Chunder, L. Zhai, R. Kumar and H.J. Cho, “Wettability Control and Flow Regulation using a Nanostructure-embedded Surface,” J. Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 11, pp. 1-4, 2011.
- R. Kumar, E. Tijerino, A. Saha and S. Basu, “Structural morphology of acoustically levitated and heated nanosilica droplet,” Applied Physics Letters, 97, 123106, 2010.
- A.Saha, S. Basu and R. Kumar, “Experimental Analysis of Thermophysical Processes in Acoustically Levitated Heated Droplets,” Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 53, pp.5663-5674, 2010.
- A.Saha, R. Kumar and S. Basu, “Infrared thermography and numerical study of vaporization characteristics of pure and blended bio-fuel droplets,” Int. J. Heat and Mass Transfer, 53, pp. 3862-3873, 2010.
- A.Gupta and R. Kumar, “Effect of Geometry on Droplet Formation in the Squeezing Regime in a Microfluidic T-Junction,” J Microfluidics Nanofluidics, 8, pp. 799-812, 2010.
- E. Yakshi-Tafti, H.J. Cho and R. Kumar, “Droplet Actuation on a Liquid Layer Due to Thermocapillary Motion: Shape Effect,” Applied Physics Letters, 96, 264101, 2010.
- N. Aminimanesh, S. Basu and R. Kumar, “Experimental Flame Speed in Multi-Layered Nano-Energetic Materials,” Combustion and Flame, 157, # 3, pp. 476-480, 2010.
- A.Gupta and R. Kumar, “Droplet impingement and breakup on a dry surface,” Computers and Fluids, 39, Issue 9, pp. 1696-1703, 2010.
- S. Basu, D. E. Lambe and R. Kumar, “Water Vapor and Carbon dioxide Species Measurements in Narrow Channels,” Int. J Heat Mass Transfer 53, Issue 4, pp. 703-714, 2010.
- E. Yakshi-Tafti, H.J. Cho and R. Kumar, “Impact of Drops on the Surface of Immiscible Liquids,” J. Colloids and Interface Science, 350, 373, 376, 2010.
- S.M.S. Murshed, K. Vereen, D. Strayer and R. Kumar, “Experimental Investigation of Bubble Nucleation of a Refrigerant in Pressurized Boiling Flows,” Energy, 35, pp.5143-5150, 2010
Scientific and Professional Societies
- ASME Fellow; Chairman, ASME K-19 Committee, Heat Transfer in Environmental Systems (1997-2000); Vice-Chair (1995-1997); Member since 1985.
- ASME Long Range Planning and Development Committee, Member, 2000 – 2001.
- ASME Technical Correspondent to Basic Engineering Group (1996 – 1999
Honors and Awards
- Pegasus Professor, University of Central Florida, March 2011.
- Associate Editor, ASME Journal of Thermal Sciences and Engineering Applications.
- Research Incentive Award, University of Central Florida, 2012.
- Excellence in Research Award, Department of Mechanical, Materials and Aerospace Engineering, University of Central Florida, 2009.
- Leadership Award, Outstanding Achievement in Two-Phase Flow Experimental and Model Development, Lockheed, 1998.