Office: ENGR 1, Rm. 407F
Phone: (407) 823-3468
Website: VASU LAB: Combustion, Propulsion, Laser Diagnostics, and Fuels
Website: CATER: Center for Advanced Turbine and Energy Research
Ph.D. (Mechanical Eng.), Stanford University, Stanford, CA, 2010
M.Tech. (Aerospace Eng.), Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, India, 2004
B.Tech. (Aerospace Eng.), Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, India, 2004
- Supercritical CO2 power cycles for power generation and naval propulsion
- Gas Turbine combustion, ignition and chemical kinetics
- Reaction conversion processes in combustion, atmosphere, and propulsion systems using shock tube and spectroscopic diagnostics
- Optical diagnostics and sensors development; Optical diagnostics applications in energy, propulsion, and environmental science; Fundamental & applied Laser spectroscopy
- Fuel chemical kinetics experiments and modeling; Computational modeling of reactive flows
- A. Masunov, A. Atlanov, S. S. Vasu, “Molecular Dynamics Study of Combustion Reactions in Supercritical Environment. Part 1: Carbon Dioxide and Water Force Field Parameters Refitting and Critical Isotherms of Binary Mixtures”, Energy and Fuels, accepted, 10/2016.
- Carlos Velez, Scott Martin, Subith Vasu, “Unsteady RANS simulation of an enclosed, turbulent reacting methane jet with the premixed CMC method”, J. Propulsion and Power, accepted, 8/2016.
- A. Masunov, A. Atlanov, S. S. Vasu, “Potential Energy Surfaces for the Reactions of HO2 Radical with CH2O, and HO2 in CO2 environment”, J. Phys Chem A, accepted, 8/2016. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpca.6b07257
- Batikan Köroğlu, Subith S. Vasu, “Measurements of Propanal Ignition Delay Times and Species Time-Histories using Shock Tube and Laser Absorption”, International J. Chemical Kinetics, accepted, 6/2016. DOI 10.1002/kin.21024
- A. Masunov, E. Wait, S. S. Vasu, “Chemical reaction CO+OH•→CO2+H• autocatalyzed by carbon dioxide: Quantum chemical study of the potential energy surfaces”, J. Phys Chem A, 2016, 120 (30), 6023-28.
- Anthony Terracciano, Subith Vasu, Nina Orlovskaya, “Design and development of a porous heterogeneous combustor for efficient heat production by combustion of liquid and gaseous fuels”, Applied Energy, 179 (2016) 228–236.
- G. Barari, B. Köroğlu, A. Masunov, S. S. Vasu, “Products and pathways of aldehydes oxidation in the negative temperature coefficient region”, J. of Energy Resources Technology-Transactions of the ASME, 2016, 139, 012203.
- Luke Thompson, Greg Natsui, Carlos Velez, Jayanta S. Kapat, Subith Vasu, “Planar Laser Induced Fluorescence Experiments and Modeling Study of Jets in Crossflow”, J. of Fluids Engineering- Transactions of the ASME, 2016, 138, 081201.
- Kyle Thurmond; Zachary Loparo; W.P. Partridge Jr.; Subith S. Vasu; “A Light-Emitting-Diode (LED) Based Absorption Sensor for Simultaneous Detection of Carbon Monoxide and Carbon Dioxide”, Applied Spectroscopy, 2016, 70 (6), 962-971.
- Steven O’Briant, Sreenath B. Gupta, Subith S. Vasu, “Review: Laser Ignition for Aerospace Propulsion”, Propulsion and Power Research, 2016, 5(1), 1-21.
- Carlos A. Velez; Scott M. Martin, Aleksandar Jemcov, Subith S. Vasu, “LES simulation of an enclosed turbulent reacting methane jet with the tabulated premixed CMC method”, J. of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power-Transactions of the ASME, 2016, 138, 101501.
- Batikan Köroğlu, Owen Pryor, Joseph Lopez, Leigh Nash, Subith S. Vasu, “Shock tube ignition delay times and methane time-histories measurements during excess CO2 diluted oxy-methane combustion”, Combustion and Flame, 2016, 164, 152-163.
- Bader Almansour, Joseph Lopez, Luke Thompson, Ghazal Barari, Subith S. Vasu, “Laser Ignition and Flame Speed Measurements in Oxy-Methane mixtures diluted with CO2”, J. of Energy Resources Technology-Transactions of the ASME, 2016, 138, 032201.
- Ghazal Barari; S. Mani Sarathy; Subith S. Vasu; “Improved combustion kinetic model and HCCI engine simulations of di-isopropyl ketone ignition”, Fuel, 2016, 164, 141-150.
- Adam M. Scheer, Oliver Welz, Subith S. Vasu, David L. Osborn, and Craig A. Taatjes “Low Temperature (550-700 K) Oxidation Pathways of Cyclic Ketones: Dominance of HO2-Elimination Channels Yielding Conjugated Cyclic Coproducts”, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2015,17, 12124-12134
- Batikan Köroğlu, Zachary Loparo, Robert E. Peale, Janardan Nath, Subith S. Vasu “Propionaldehyde Infrared Cross-Sections and Band Strengths”, J. Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer, 2015, 152, 107-113.
- Joshua W. Allen; Adam M. Scheer; Connie Gao; Shamel S. Merchant; Subith S. Vasu; Oliver Welz; John D. Savee; David L. Osborn; Changyoul Lee; Stijn Vranckx; Zhandong Wang; Fei Qi; Ravi X. Fernandes; William H. Green; Masood Z. Hadi; and Craig A. Taatjes; “A coordinated investigation of the combustion chemistry of diisopropyl ketone, a prototype for biofuels produced by endophytic fungi”, Combustion and Flame, 2014, 161(3), 711-724.
- Jihad Badra; Ahmed Elwardany; Fethi Khaled; Subith S. Vasu; Aamir Farooq; ” A shock tube and laser absorption study of ignition delay times and OH reaction rates of ketones: 2-Butanone and 3-Buten-2-one”, Combustion and Flame, 2014, 161(3), 725-734.
- Subith S. Vasu; S.M. Sarathy; “On the high-temperature combustion of n-butanol: Shock tube data and an improved kinetic model”, Energy & Fuels, 2013, 27 (11), 7072-7080.
- Welz O.; Savee J. D.; Osborn D.; Vasu S. S.; Percival C. J.; Shallcross D. E.; Taatjes C. A., ‘Direct Kinetic Measurements of Criegee Intermediate (CH2OO) Formed by Reaction of CH2I with O2’, Science (accepted 11/18/2011).
- Vasu S. S.; Huynh L.K.; Davidson D. F.; Hanson R. K., ‘Reactions of OH with Butene Isomers: Measurements of the Overall Rates and a Theoretical Study’, J. Phys. Chem. A. 2011, 115 (12), 2549-2556.
- Hong Z.; Vasu S. S.; Davidson D. F.; Hanson R. K., ‘Experimental study of the rate of OH+HO2= H2O+O2 at high temperatures using the reverse reaction’, Journal of Physical Chemistry A 2010, 114 (17), 5520–5525.
- Tyagi Manav; Sujith R. I.; Vasu Subith, ‘Nonlinear distortion of traveling waves in non-uniform gasdynamic flows’, International Journal of Aeroacoustics 2008, 7 (Nos. 3&4), 243-266.
- Z. Hong; D. F. Davidson; S. S. Vasu; R. K. Hanson, ‘The effect of oxygenates on soot formation in rich heptane mixtures: A shock tube study’, Fuel 2009, 88 (10), 1901-1906.
- Hong Z.; Pang G. A.; Vasu S. S.; Davidson D. F.; Hanson R. K., ‘The use of driver inserts to reduce facility effects behind reflected shock waves’, Shock Waves 2009, 19, 113-123.
- Vasu S. S.; Hong Z.; Davidson D. F.; Hanson R. K.; Golden D. M., ‘Shock tube/laser absorption measurements of the reaction rates of OH with ethylene and propene’, J. Phys. Chem. A. 2010, 114, 11529-11537.
- Vasu S. S.; Davidson D. F.; Hanson R. K.; Golden D. M., ‘Measurements of the reaction of OH with n-butanol at high temperatures’, Chem Phys Letters 2010, 497, 26-29.
- Vasu S. S.; Zádor J., Davidson D. F.; Hanson R. K.; Golden D. M.; Miller J. A., ‘High-temperature Measurements and a Theoretical Study of the Reaction of OH with 1,3-Butadiene’, J. Phys. Chem. A. 2010, 114, 8312-8318.
- Vasu S. S.; Davidson D. F.; Hanson R. K., ‘Jet fuel ignition delay times: Shock tube experiments over wide conditions’, Combustion and Flame 2008, 152, 125-143.
- Vasu S. S.; Davidson D. F.; Hanson R. K., ‘Shock tube experiments and kinetic modeling of toluene ignition’, Journal of Propulsion and Power 2010, 26 (4), 776-783.
- Vasu S. S.; Davidson D. F.; Hong Z.; Hanson R. K., ‘A shock tube study of methylcyclohexane ignition over a wide range of pressure and temperature’, Energy and Fuels 2009, 23, 175-185.
- Vasu S. S.; Davidson D. F.; Hong Z.; Vasudevan V.; Hanson R. K., ‘n-Dodecane oxidation at high pressures: Measurements of ignition delay times and OH concentration time histories’, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 2009, 32, 173-180.
- Vasu S. S.; Davidson D. F.; Hanson R. K., ‘OH time-histories during oxidation of n-heptane and methycyclohexane at high-pressures and temperatures’, Combustion and Flame 2009, 156, 736-749. Selected as Cover Feature Article title.
Scientific and Professional Societies
- AIAA (member of Propellants and Combustion Technical Committee)
- ASME (Member of four International Gas Turbine Institute (IGTI) Committees)
- Supercritical CO2 Power Cycles
- Coal Biomass & Alternative Fuels
- Combustion, Fuels & Emissions
- The Combustion Institute
Honors and Awards
- 2017 Dilip Ballal Early Career Award (ASME)
- 2016 UCF Reach for the Stars Award
- 2016 UCF College of Engineering and Computer Science Research Excellence Award (Assistant Professor)
- 2015 Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) Young Investigator Program
- 2015 American Chemical Society (ACS) PRF Doctoral New Investigator Award
- 2015 University Turbine Systems Research award from Department of Energy
- 2015 Air Force Faculty Fellowship
- Featured on the United States Army Website
- Featured on the cover of Combustion and Flame April, 2009
- Inaugural recipient of the Swami Chinmayananda Fellowship for undergraduate studies, 1999-2004
- Ranked 2nd in India for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering, 2002