Office: ENG I, Room 341
Office Hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 1:30-4:30 p.m.
Kawai Kwok is an assistant professor of mechanical and aerospace engineering at the University of Central Florida. He received his B.S. in mechanical engineering from Lehigh University, and earned his M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in aerospace engineering from the California Institute of Technology. Prior to joining UCF, he was a research scientist in the Department of Energy Conversion and Storage at the Technical University of Denmark. His research interest lies in the mechanics of flexible and multifunctional structures and materials, focusing on shape reconfiguration, actuation and sensing, structural instability, and microstructural mechanisms.
- Deployable spacecraft structures
- Flexible and reconfigurable structures
- Smart composites
- Material architectures and microstructures
- Bioinspired deployable shells
- Haugen, L. Aguilera, K. Kwok, T.T. Molla, K. Andersen, S. Pirou, A. Kaiser, P.V. Hendriksen, R. Kiebach (2018), Exploring the processing of tubular chromite-and zirconia-based oxygen transport membranes, Ceramics 1: 229-245
- T.T. Molla, F. Greco, K. Kwok, P. Zielke, H.L. Frandsen (2018), Development of high temperature mechanical rig for characterizing the viscoplastic properties of alloys used in solid oxide fuel cells, Journal of Testing and Evaluation 46: 5.
- Kiebach, P. Zielke, S. Veltzé, Y. Xu, S. Ovtar, S.B. Simonsen, K. Kwok, H.L. Frandsen, R. Kungas (2017), On the properties and long-term stability of infiltrated solid oxide fuel cell cathodes, Journal of the Electrochemical Society 164: F748-F758.
- T.T. Molla, K. Kwok, H.L. Frandsen (2017), Transient deformational properties of high temperature alloys used in solid oxide fuel cell stacks, Journal of Power Sources 351: 8-16.
- Kwok, S. Pellegrino (2017), Micromechanics models for viscoelastic plain-weave composite tape springs, AIAA Journal 55: 309-321.
- T.T. Molla, K. Kwok, H.L. Frandsen (2016), Efficient modeling of metallic interconnects for thermo-mechanical simulation of SOFC stacks: homogenized behaviors and effect of contact, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 41: 6433-6444.
- Ni, B. Charlas, K. Kwok, T.T. Molla, H.L. Frandsen (2016), Influence of temperature and atmosphere on the strength and elastic modulus of solid oxide fuel cell anode supports, Journal of Power Sources 311: 1-12.
- Li, K. Kwok, S. Pellegrino (2016), Thermoviscoelastic models for polyethylene thin films, Mechanics of Time-Dependent Materials 20: 13-43.
- Robert H. Goddard Exceptional Achievement for Engineering, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, 2016
- Tech Brief Award, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, 2011
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Millions in Grant Money Headed to UCF for Space Research
- Another Record Year for UCF — 8 NSF CAREER Award Winners
- UCF Student Team Named Finalists in NASA Aerospace Competition
- Kwok Selected for NSF CAREER Award
- MAE Researchers Awarded University SEED Funding
- Graduate Student Profile: Andrew Allen
- UCF Researchers Awarded NASA Small Business Technology Planning Grants
- 10 UCF Graduate Students Awarded Florida Space Grant Consortium Fellowships
- UCF Joins Project to Develop Composites for Spacecraft, NASA Missions
- UCF Engineer Looks to Shape Next Generation of NASA’s Deployable Structures