Office: ENG I, Room 219
Office Hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 1:30-4:30 p.m.
Louis Chow received his A.B. in physics in 1972, and his M.S. and Ph.D. in mechanical engineering in 1974 and 1978, respectively, all from the University of California at Berkeley. Currently, he holds the position of University Chair of Mechanical Engineering in the College of Engineering and Computer Science. He also has a joint appointment as a professor in the College of Optics and Photonics. He was on the faculty at Texas A&M University, Washington State University and the University of Kentucky prior to joining UCF in 1995 as chair of the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering.
- Renewable energy utilization
- Adsorption cooling
- Spray cooling
- Heat transfer in electro-optical, computing and power systems
- Thermal management of motors and electronics in aircraft and spacecraft
- M.L. Elsayed, O. Mesalhy, R.H. Mohammed, L.C. Chow, “Performance Modeling of MED-MVC Systems: Exergy-economic Analysis,” Energy, Vol. 166, pp. 552-568, January 2019.
- M.L. Elsayed, O. Mesalhy, R.H. Mohammed, L.C. Chow, Transient and Thermoeconomic Analysis of MED-MVC Desalination Process, Energy, Vol. 167, pp. 283-296, January 2019.
- C. Wang, X. Zhang, W. Jia, W. Wu and L. Chow, “Synthesis, Properties and Characterization of Field’s Alloy Nanoparticles and its Slurry,” Nanoemulsion – Properties, Fabrications and Applications, IntechOpen, February 2019.
- R.H. Mohammed, O. Mesalhy, M.L. Elsayed and L.C. Chow, “Assessment of Numerical Models in the Evaluation of Adsorption Cooling System Performance,” International Journal of Refrigeration, Vol. 99, pp. 166-175, March 2019.
- M.L. Elsayed, O. Mesalhy, R.H. Mohammed, J.P. Kizito, Q.H. Leland and L.C. Chow, “Enhancement of a Heat Sink Performance Using a Partial Shield and/or a Guide Plate,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 134, pp. 948-958, May 2019.
- W. Wu, Y.R. Lin, E. Gyasi, J.P. Kizito, Q.H. Leland and L.C. Chow, “Design and Experiment on Aircraft Electromechanical Actuator Fan at Different Altitudes and Rotational Speeds,” SAE International Journal of Aerospace, Vol. 12, pp. 57-76, June 2019.
- R.H. Mohammed, O. Mesalhy, M.L. Elsayed and L.C. Chow, “Performance Enhancement of Adsorption Beds with Silica-gel Particles Packed in Aluminum Foams,” International Journal of Refrigeration, Vol. 104, pp. 201-212, August 2019.
- R.H. Mohammed, O. Mesalhy, M.L. Elsayed, R. Huo, M. Su and L.C. Chow, “Performance of Desiccant Heat Exchangers with Aluminum Foam Coated or Packed with Silica Gel,” Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 166, 114626, February 5, 2020.
- M.L. Elsayed, O. Mesalhy, Kizito, Q.H. Leland and L.C. Chow, “Performance of a Guided Plate Heat Sink at High Altitude,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 147, 118926, February 2020.
- S. Alharbi, M.L. Elsayed and L.C. Chow, “Exergoeconomic Analysis and Optimization of an Integrated System of Supercritical CO2 Brayton Cycle and Multi-Effect Desalination,” Energy, Vol. 197, 117225, April 15, 2020.
- O. Mesalhy, C. Rath, D. Rini, J.P. Kizito, Q.H. Leland and L.C. Chow, “A Parametric Fin Structure Design Study for Cooling Aerospace Electro-Mechanical Actuators with High-Speed Axial Fans,” Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 56, Issue 5, pp. 1565-1577, May 1, 2020.
- O. Mesalhy, M.L. Elsayed, J.J. Corona, Jr., A.A. Kwarteng, J.P. Kizito, Q.H. Leland and L.C. Chow, “Study of a High-Reliability Dual-Fan System for Cooling Aerospace Electromechanical Actuators,” Thermal Science and Engineering Progress, Vol. 18, 100540, August 2020.
- Z. Wang, J. Liu, R. Mohammed, M. Elsayed, L. Chow and M. Su, “A Stably Cross-Linked Ink on Filter Paper with 1D Transport for Efficient Photothermal Water Treatment,” SN Applied Sciences, Vol. 2, 1796, November 2020.
- J.J. Corona, K.A. Kaddoura, A.A. Kwarteng, O. Mesalhy, L.C. Chow, Q.H. Leland and J.P. Kizito, “Comparison of Two Axial Fans for Cooling of Electromechanical Actuators at Variable Pressure,” Thermal Science and Engineering Progress, Vol. 20, 100683, December 2020.
- National Academy of Inventors, UCF, 2017
- Allan Kraus Thermal Management Medal, ASME, 2012
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science, AAAS, 2012
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, ASME, 1992.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- American Association for the Advancement of Science