Mark W. Steiner is a professor and the director of engineering design at the UCF Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering. Prior to his recent move to Florida, Steiner served as director of the O.T. Swanson Multidisciplinary Design Laboratory in the School of Engineering at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, which he established from the ground up and grew into an internationally recognized design program. He is an expert in advanced design methodology. At RPI he also served as professor of practice in the Department of Mechanical, Aerospace and Nuclear Engineering and wrote the Partners for Advancement of Collaborative Engineering proposal for the largest ever in-kind grant of $514 million.
Steiner has twelve years of practical industrial experience introducing world-class productivity best practices into business operations at GE Corporate and bringing products to market at GE Appliances. He is the author of numerous papers, an inventor with five patents and an invited speaker at various national and international academic and industrial workshops, meetings and conferences.
- Engineering education
- Design theory and methodology
- Stresau, K., Steiner, M., “A Case Study Approach for Understanding the Impact of Team Selection on the Effectiveness of Multidisciplinary Capstone Teams”, 2017 ASEE Annual Conference, Summer 2017.
- Steiner, M., Kanai, J., “Creating Effective Multidisciplinary Capstone Project Teams,” International Journal of Engineering Education, Vol. 32, No. 2(A), pp. 625–639, 2016.
- Steiner, M., Kanai, J., Hsu, C., Ledet, E., Morris, J., Anderson, M., Miller, S., Anderson, K., and Bagepalli, B., “Preparing Engineering Students for Professional Practice: Using Capstone to Drive Continuous Improvement,” International Journal of Engineering Education, 31, No. 1(A), pp. 154–164, 2015.
- Steiner, M., Kanai, J., Alben, R., Gerhardt, L., and Hsu, C., “Holistic Assessment of Student Performance in Multidisciplinary Engineering Capstone Design Projects,” International Journal of Engineering Education, Vol 27, No 6, 2011.
- Steiner, M., Kanai, J., Alben, R., Gerhardt, L., and Hsu, C., “Analysis of Engineering Capstone Design Student Reflective Memos: What Students Say and What They Don’t Say,” 2011 ASEE Annual Conference, Vancouver, 2011 (Finalist for Best Paper).
- Morris, J.P., and Steiner, M.W., “Quantifying Sustainability through Reverse Engineering: A Multidisciplinary Senior Capstone Experience,” International Journal of Engineering Education, Vol 26, Number 2, 2010.
- Steiner, M.W. and Langdon Winner, “Thoughts and Reflections on Rensselaer’s Product Design and Innovation Program,” ASEE Annual Conference, Honolulu, June 24 – 27, 2007.
- Center for Economic Growth Technology Innovation Award, New York Capital District, 2012
- Education Innovation Award, School of Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2010
- Trustee Celebration of Faculty Achievement Awards, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2004, 2008 and 2010
American Society for Engineering Education