Sam Song is an associate professor with the UCF Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering. Prior to joining UCF, he served as a research associate for the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences at Harvard's Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering, and as an instructor for the Harvard Medical School. Song was also a research scientist for the Johns Hopkins Laboratory for Computational Sensing and Robotics, and for Western Pennsylvania Hospital's Institute for Computer Assisted Orthopedic Surgery.
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of British Columbia, 2006
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Imperial College London, 2005
- M.Sc. in Mechanical Systems Engineering, University of Liverpool, 2000
- B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Ulsan, 1995
- Image-guided intervention
- Robotic orthopedic surgery
- Nonrigid assistive robots
- Surgical and healthcare devices
- Medical expertise pooling
The current clinical applications of his research include MRI-guided targeted cancer biopsy and focal therapy, minimally invasive joint replacement and transplantation surgery, soft robotic medical devices, and telemedical support for prolonged field care and telehealth
- Roche ET, Horvath MA, Wamala I, Alazmani A, Song SE, Whyte W, Machaidze Z, Payne CJ, Weaver JC, Fishbein G, Kuebler J, Vasilyev NV, Mooney DJ, Pigula FA, & Walsh CJ. Soft robotic sleeve supports heart function. Sci Transl Med. 2017;9(373). PMID: 28100834.
- Hata N, Song S-E, Olubiyi O, Arimitsu Y, Fujimoto K, Kato T, Tuncali K, Tani S, & Tokuda J. Body-mounted robotic instrument guide for image-guided cryotherapy of renal cancer. Medical Physics. 2016;43(2):843-853.
- Kato T, Okumura I, Song SE, Golby AJ, & Hata N. Tendon-Driven Continuum Robot for Endoscopic Surgery: Preclinical Development and Validation of a Tension Propagation Model. IEEE ASME Trans Mechatron. 2015;20(5):2252-2263. PMID: 26380544. PMCID: PMC4569018.
- Yoshimitsu K, Kato T, Song SE, & Hata N. A novel four-wire-driven robotic catheter for radio-frequency ablation treatment. Int J Comput Assist Radiol Surg. 2014;9(5):867-874. PMID: 24510205. PMCID: PMC4209906.
- Tilak G, Tuncali K, Song SE, Tokuda J, Olubiyi O, Fennessy F, Fedorov A, Penzkofer T, Tempany C, & Hata N. 3T MR-guided in-bore transperineal prostate biopsy: A comparison of robotic and manual needle-guidance templates. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2015;42(1):63-71. PMID: 25263213. PMCID: PMC4376663.
- Penzkofer T, Tuncali K, Fedorov A, Song SE, Tokuda J, Fennessy FM, Vangel MG, Kibel AS, Mulkern RV, Wells WM, Hata N, & Tempany CM. Transperineal in-bore 3-T MR imaging-guided prostate biopsy: a prospective clinical observational study. Radiology. 2015;274(1):170-180. PMID: 25222067. PMCID: PMC4334270.
- Song SE, Hata N, Iordachita I, Fichtinger G, Tempany C, & Tokuda J. A workspace-orientated needle-guiding robot for 3T MRI-guided transperineal prostate intervention: evaluation of in-bore workspace and MRI compatibility. Int J Med Robot. 2013;9(1):67-74. PMID: 22492680. PMCID: PMC3674858.
- Song SE, Tokuda J, Tuncali K, Tempany CM, Zhang E, & Hata N. Development and preliminary evaluation of a motorized needle guide template for MRI-guided targeted prostate biopsy. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2013;60(11):3019-3027. PMID: 23335658. PMCID: PMC3778164.
- Biomedical Engineering Society member
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers member
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers member
- EML 3022C: Introduction to Computer-Aided Engineering