Suryanarayana "Surya" Challapalli is currently a professor at UCF in Orlando. He obtained his B.E. in metallurgy (with distinction) from the Indian Institute of Science in Bangalore and his M.S. and Ph.D. from Banaras Hindu University in Varanasi, India. He was a faculty member at the Banaras Hindu University in Varanasi and rose to the position of a full professor. He subsequently spent time at the Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio, the University of Idaho in Moscow and the Colorado School of Mines in Golden, before joining UCF in 2001.
His main research expertise includes non-equilibrium processing of materials, with special emphasis on rapid solidification processing and mechanical alloying, to synthesize nanostructured materials and nanocomposites. His other research interests include metallic glasses, bulk metallic glasses and coatings. He has published nearly 400 technical papers and authored/edited 22 books and conference proceedings. He has also been a member of the editorial boards of several international journals including International Materials Reviews, Metallurgical and Material Transactions A, Materials Design and Processing Communications, Research, and Madridge Journal of Nanotechnology and Nanoscience. Most recently, he was appointed editor of Transactions of the Indian Institute of Metals.
Challapalli is a fellow of ASM International, a fellow of the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining in London, and a fellow of the Electron Microscope Society of India. He is one of the most cited researchers in the field of materials science and engineering. He has over 22,300 citations to his research work with an h-index of 51 and i-10 index of 181. His textbooks are loved by the students and his comprehensive scientific reviews are received extremely well by the academic community. According to Thomson Reuters, he is one of the top 40 researchers in the world in the field of materials science who achieved the highest citation impact scores for their papers published since January 2000.
Challapalli has been a visiting professor at several universities in China, India, Germany, Japan, South Korea, Saudi Arabia and others. He has received many awards for his research contributions, including the National Metallurgists’ Day Award of the Government of India, the Pandya Silver Medal of the Indian Institute of Metals, the Science Academy Medal for Young Scientists by the Indian National Science Academy, the Distinguished Alumnus award from Banaras Hindu University, the Lifetime Achievement Award in Engineering by Central Florida Engineers and the Lifetime Achievement Award in Electron Microscopy from India. During 2012-2013, he was a Jefferson Science Fellow and Senior Science Advisor at the U.S. Department of State in Washington, D.C. Most recently, he was awarded the prestigious 2016 TMS Educator Award.
- Nanomaterials and nanocomposites
- Mechanical alloying
- Non-equilibrium processing of materials
- Bulk metallic glasses
- (Book). C. Suryanarayana and A. Inoue, Bulk Metallic Glasses (second edition), CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 2018.
- Wang, K.G. Prashanth, K.B. Surreddi, C. Suryanarayana, J. Eckert, and S. Scudino, “Pressure-Assisted Sintering of Al-Gd-Ni-Co Amorphous Alloy Powders”, Materialia, 2 (2018) 157-166.
- W. Zhang, Y. Hu, Z. Wang, C. Yang, G.Q. Zhang, K.G. Prashanth, and C. Suryanarayana, “A Novel High-Strength Al-based Nanocomposite Reinforced with Ti-based Metallic Glass Nanoparticles Produced by Powder Metallurgy”, Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 734 (2018) 34-41.
- Ahmed A. Al-Joubori and C. Suryanarayana, “Synthesis and Thermal Stability of Homogeneous Nanostructured Fe3C (Cementite)”, Mater. Sci., 53 (2018) 7877-7890.
- I. Bazlov, A.A. Tsarkov, S.V. Ketov, C. Suryanarayana, and D.V. Louzguine-Luzgin, “Effect of Multiple Alloying Elements on the Glass-forming Ability, Thermal Stability, and Crystallization Behavior of Zr-based Alloys”, Metall. Mater. Trans. A, 49A (2018) 644-651.
- Dengshan Zhou, Hongwei Geng, Wei Zeng, Dengqi Zheng, Hucheng Pan, Charlie Kong, Paul Munroe, Gang Sha, C. Suryanarayana, and Deliang Zhang, “High Temperature Stabilization of a Nanostructured Cu-Y2O3 Nanocomposite through Microalloying with Ti”, Sci. & Eng. A, A712 (2018) 80-87.
- Xiaoli Zhao, Lu Li, Mitsuo Niinomi, Masaaki Nakai, Deliang Zhang, and C. Suryanarayana, “Metastable Zr-Nb Alloys for Spinal Fixation Rods with Tunable Young′s Modulus and Low Magnetic Resonance Susceptibility”, Acta Biomaterialia, 62 (2017) 372-384.
- Al-Joubori and C. Suryanarayana, “Synthesis of Austenitic Stainless Steel Powder Alloys by Mechanical Alloying”, J. Mater. Sci., 52 (2017) 11919-11932.
- Editor, Transactions of the Indian Institute of Metals
- Visiting professor, Northeastern University, Shenyang, China
- Plenary speaker at the ninth International Conference on Advanced Materials Processing, Shenyang, China, 2018
- TMS Educator Award
- Selected as a Jefferson Science Fellow by the U.S. National Academies to work for one year at the U.S. Department of State in Washington, D.C. to advise on science policy matters
- Listed by Thomson Reuters as one of the top 100 researchers (actual number is 40) in the world in the field of materials science who achieved the highest citation impact scores for their papers published since January 2000
- Central Florida Engineers’ Award for Lifetime Achievement in Engineering
- ASM-IIM Visiting Lectureship Award
- Posts not found