Office: ENG I, Room 339
Office Hours: On sabbatical
Felipe Viana is an assistant professor at the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at UCF. The vast majority of Viana's work has been applied to new designs and the improvement of fielded products with a focus on aircraft propulsion, power generation, and oil and gas systems. Over the years, his research has generated a number of peer-reviewed publications and patents. He serves as review editor for Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization and as a reviewer in top journals and conferences.
Before joining UCF, Viana was a senior scientist at GE Renewable Energy, where he led the development of state-of-the art computational methods for improving wind energy asset performance and reliability. Prior to that, he spent five years at GE Global Research, where he lead and conducted research on services engineering, design and optimization under uncertainty, and probabilistic analysis of engineering systems.
- Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering, University of Florida
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Universidade Federal de Uberlandia
- Design, manufacturing, and services of engineering assets
- Predictive analytics, diagnostics, and prognostics
- Multidisciplinary optimization
- G. Nascimento and F. A. C. Viana, "Fleet prognosis with physics-informed recurrent neural networks," arXiv preprint, arXiv:1901.05512, 2019.
- A. Yucesan and F. A. C. Viana, "Onshore wind turbine main bearing reliability and its implications in fleet management," AIAA SciTech Forum, San Diego, USA, January 7-11, 2019, AIAA 2019-1225.
- Dourado and F. A. C. Viana, "Impact of early life failures in services of engineering asset fleets," Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the PHM Society, Vol. 10 (1), Philadelphia, USA, September 24-27, 2018.
- F.A.C. Viana, T.W. Simpson, V. Balabanov, V. Toropov, "Metamodeling in multidisciplinary design optimization: how far have we really come?," AIAA Journal, Vol 52 (4), pp. 670-690, 2014. (DOI: 10.2514/1.J052375).
- F.A.C. Viana and A.K. Subramaniyan, "Massively accelerated Bayesian machine," Filed on Jan 09, 2017, Published on July 12, 2018, Publication number US20180196892A1.
- A.K. Subramaniyan, K.M.K. Genghis Khan, F.A.C. Viana, and N.C. Kumar, "Systems and methods for predicting asset specific service life in components," Filed on Dec 31, 2015, Published on Jul 6, 2017, Publication number US20170193460A1.
- Aero-Thermal and Mechanical Impact for Outstanding Technical Achievement Award, GE Global Research, 2015
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics member
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers member
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics member
- Review editor for Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization
- Reviewer of journals and conferences:
- AIAA Journal
- Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization
- Engineering Optimization
- Journal of Mechanical Design
- Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering
- Journal of Sound and Vibration
- Journal of Engineering Manufacture
- ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences
- AIAA Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference
- EAS 6722: Multidisciplinary Optimization Under Uncertainty
- EML 6572: Probabilistic Methods in Mechanical Design
- EML 4225: Introduction to Vibrations and Controls
- Posts not found