Vasu Lab and their collaborators are working on a varity of topics in energy, propulsion, and environment:
Shock Tube Experiments and Modeling
- Ignition delay time measurements in conventional and alternative fuels.
- Species time-history measurements using absorption diagnostics (pyrolysis and oxidation).
- Reaction rate measurements in combustion and atmospheric systems.
- Catalytic surface ignition.
- Modeling of shock tube physics and ignition experiments.
High-Pressure, High-Temperature Spherical Chamber Experiments
- Laser plasma interaction and flame kernel formation in hydrocarbon mixtures.
- Ignition and burning velocity measurements in hydrocarbon fuels using both laser and spark ignition sources.
- High-speed imaging of gaseous and liquid fuels injections at high pressure.
- LIBS spectroscopy for concentration measurements.
Diagnostics/Sensor Development for Combustion and Emission Detection
- Soot measurements using laser-induced extinction at 613nm.
- Mid-IR LED-based probes for simultaneous detection of CO/CO2/NO/N2O.
- Mid-IR ICL and QCL absorption diagnostics for aldehydes, methane, and other hydrocarbons
- Mid-IR Frequency combs spectroscopy for multi-species detection.
- Tunable diode laser absorption spectroscopy for H2O, CO2, and temperature.
- OH species concentration measurements using UV absorption.
- Acetone PLIF as a tool to investigate mixing between two flows.
- OH PLIF to locate flame and heat release locations during combustion.
Synchrotron Photo-Ionization Mass Spectroscopy
- Speciation experiments to investigate fuel oxidation chemistry.
- Reaction rate measurements following pulsed photolytic initiation.
- Probing surface effects on gas-phase oxidation.
Porous Combustor Experiments and Modeling
- Porous ceramic matrix stabilized lean natural gas and liquid fuel combustors.
- Heterogeneous combustion model development.
- HCCI engine modeling of advanced biofuel ignition.
- Premixed natural gas and hydrogen combustion using LES and RANS.
- Chemical Kinetic model development for combustion of hydrocarbon fuels.
- Quantum chemistry calculations of reactions.