Joon-Hyuk Park is an assistant professor in the UCF Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department, and a member of the Disability, Aging and Technology Cluster. Prior to UCF, he was a National Research Council Research Associate at the U.S. Army Research Lab — the Integrated Capability Enhancement Branch — where he worked on the research and evaluation of exoskeletons designed for soldiers. He received his M.Phil. and Ph.D. in mechanical engineering from Columbia University.
His research focuses on wearable robotics and human-robot interaction. At UCF, he plans to continue his research on assistive and rehabilitative devices in wearable forms, and develop design features and control strategies that can improve the utility, user acceptance and effectiveness of wearable technologies in various applications.
- Robotics and mechatronics
- Wearable assistive and rehabilitative devices
- Human-robot interactions and adaptive control
- Experimental human movement biomechanics
- Statistical and learning-based models for human intention/state detection
- J. Park, P. Stegall, D. Roye Jr., S. Agrawal, “Robotic Spine Exoskeleton (RoSE): Characterizing the Three-dimensional Stiffness of the Human Torso in Treatment of Spine Deformity,” IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, 26(5), pp. 1026-1035, 2018.
- J. Park, P. Stegall, H. Zhang, S. Agrawal, “Walking with a backpack using load distribution and dynamic load compensation reduces metabolic cost and adaptations to loads,” IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, 25(9), pp. 1419-1430, 2017.
- J. Park, P. Stegall, S. Agrawal, “Reducing Dynamic Loads from a Backpack during Load Carriage using an Upper Body Assistive Device,” Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics-Transactions of the ASME. 8(5), 051017, pp. 1-8, 2016.
- J. Park, X. Jin, S. Agrawal, “Second Spine: Upper Body Assistive Device for Human Load Carriage,” Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics-Transactions of the ASME. 7(1), 011012, pp. 1-11, 2015
- National Academy of Science — Research Associateship Program (NRC-RAP), 2016-2019
- Honorable Mention for the Best Paper Award at the 39th ASME/IDETC Conference, 2015
- NASA Graduate Fellowship, 2011
- IEEE Robotics and Automation Society
- ASME Mechanisms and Robotics Society
- IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society
- American Society for Testing and Materials International — Committee F48 on Exoskeletons and Exosuits